I’ve been a parent of 5 kids for a month now. It’s been a little bit of an adjustment period for everyone but overall it’s going fairly smoothly. There have been a few things I’ve noticed and I’ve decided I’d share them.
- I can’t remember the baby’s name. His name is Finnley, we call him Finn. Well, when I can remember his name I call him Finn. Usually I call him Luki, who up until 3 weeks ago was the baby in the family.
- I can remember the other kid’s names but I am forever getting them mixed up. I’m not sure what it was about adding this 5th kid but suddenly I can’t keep anyone straight. We only have one girl and sadly I can’t even get her name right half the time.
- I somehow forgot how much work a newborn is. This is our 5th kid, how could I forget. Newborns are so much work. They eat so often and need so many diaper changes and burpings and swaddling and… How did I forget this?
- The laundry is insurmountable. I don’t know why but suddenly the laundry situation has reached critical mass. The newborn doesn’t really have a lot of laundry, but he is spitting up on stuff so maybe that’s the reason. It’s out of control. Laundry is a 9-5, 7 day a week, full time job.
- The other kids know that when you’re feeding the baby they basically have free range of the house. They are testing their limits on this one. I’m about to start testing out alternative uses for duct tape.
- They love their baby brother. Maybe a little too much. Sometimes I wish they would just ignore him, like when he’s taking a nap for example.
It’s been a good first month. We are fortunate my wife has been able to take the time off from work. It’s been a nice time for us as a family as we’re getting used to having another person around. I’ve found it harder to find time to update the blog as well but as we settle into our routines I’m sure it’ll get better. I hope you’re all having a great week! Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your weekend.
I know I’m always begging for clicks/votes on the icon above. I was trying to stop doing that so much but the top mommy blogs website just completely redesigned itself and all the votes for everyone were erased. So I really need some help getting back to the top. Clicking on the icon now takes you to a screen that has a “click here to vote for Sunshine Dad” button. That site has been such a great way for companies and brands to find me and I owe a big thanks to all of you for voting for me so I can get such great exposure. For the record you’re allowed to vote for me once every 24 hours. I’ll now go back to trying not to beg so much.
Photo credit Remember These Things Photography