I need a Vacation from my Family Vacation

As a parent, family vacations are anything but relaxing, quiet, peaceful getaways. On many levels it’s more stressful than just staying at home, but I can’t imagine not going on family vacations. Isn’t this what you sign on for when you decide to have kids? Aren’t crazy family vacations what you talk about and laugh about for decades to come?

I wrote about my Ideal Family Vacation a while back, I was only half joking. While the idea of some kid-free time is wonderful and often very necessary, I can’t imagine not going on at least one vacation a year with my kids.

I came across an article Travel Without Children that was talking about a study done by the website My Voucher Codes where they questioned parents if they would rather take their kids on vacation with them or go alone. 22% of parents said they would rather go alone, 51% said they would rather go with their kids and 27% said they would happily go with their kids, but they would also like a chance to go away without them. I’d be very interested to know if the 22% that said they would rather not take their kids on vacation actually followed through, or if it was just a “wish.”

I would rather do all kinds of things. I would rather live in a mansion on the beach, I would rather be independently wealthy, I would rather eat chocolate and lose weight but that doesn’t mean it happens. So I wonder if these parents are actually never going on vacation with their kids or if that is just wishful thinking?

My parents bought my family season passes to Disney one year and we went fairly often that year. That was about 20 years ago. I still have such great vivid memories of that. That is just one small example of all the wonderful family vacations we went on. I want to build great vacations memories with my kids too. I can’t imagine never taking them on vacation. I can definitely see going on an extra vacation and letting them stay with grandma and granddaddy though!

How about you guys? What are your thoughts about taking the kids on vacation with you? It somehow doesn’t seem right not to take your kids on vacation, but then again, what do I know?

Every click on the image below is a vote for me. Thank you all for your continued support. Have a great week!

Click to vote for me @ Top Daddy Blogs // Dad Blogs Directory
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

8 thoughts on “I need a Vacation from my Family Vacation”

  1. Once I stop bankrolling attorney’s vacations in this never ending custody battle I can’t wait to take my daughter somewhere now that she is at an age where she will remember most of it. When I was married we found going on vacation with others helped fill the void when you needed “adult” time as long as your offered the same in return for the other family and their children.

  2. If I had to choose between the two I would always choose to bring them along and make those memories that you’re talking about. No matter how much more work it may be, its always worth it. However, the idea of a getaway with the wife, or the guys (on a snowboarding trip perhaps… ehem!) Is very appealing.

  3. Well, having just went on our first family vacation with my adult children and their children (my grands), I love having a vacation with the family. My daughter-in-law told me she and my son realize, they need a vacation from the vacation! They have an 18 month old. Believe me, even memaw and papaw need a vacation from the family vacation, but if I had to choose one over the other, always with the family!

    1. Those extended family vacations are a lot of fun! Sometimes stressful, often chaotic but so full of great memories! I can’t imagine never having a family vacation.
      So where is the vacation from the vacation going to be?? 🙂

If you could take 30 seconds and give me your thoughts about what you just read, I'd be grateful!